11.11.10



In Spite of All The Danger - The Quarrymen

in spite of all the danger
that won't let me be 
I'd do anything for you, anything you want me to
if you'll be true to me 


in spite of all the heartache 
that you may cause me 
I'd do anything for you, anything you want me to
if you'll be true to me 

"It would be an gross overstatement to say these tracks manifest any clearly prescient foreshadowing of the "greatness" that was to emerge some four or so years later. By the same token I think you'd be precipitant to dismiss them as merely uninteresting or incompetent juvenalia. There's certainly enough personality coming through these recordings to recognize the hand of the proto-Beatles in them, at least given perfect hindsight. The performances are comparable with, if not a notch above, the best of the other Quarrymen tracks referred to usually as "Liverpool 1960". Besides, a chance to hear this particular ensemble, which includes Colin Hanton on drums and John "Duff" Lowe on piano, is worth the price of admission on its own historical merits." 


- Alan Pollock

No comments:

Post a Comment