Started reading the first 100 or so pages of Hard Truths. the main 'hard truth' that LKY tries to sell is really the point about Singapore's vulnerability, which in all honesty, isn't that hard. It is not a matter of youths not knowing that the formative years of Singapore were a difficult and trying period. We get all that from textbooks. We know, we know. Hock Lee bus riots, Maria Hertogh riots. Separation from Malaysia. Dependency on them for water, on Indonesia for sand. No natural resources except humans.
Nothing new there. What is the hard truth is is something, I think, that putting down on paper will not suffice in getting across. It is that our generation will probably never be as diligent, hardworking, passionate, fire-in-our-bellies and sincere as the future government of Singapore probably will need us to be, based on the simple fact that we have no experience in any sort of significant hardship. Not even a peripheral experience -- everything tumultuous happening in the world, even in our backyards (see protests in Bangkok, floods in JB, poverty in Indonesia, Cambodia, etc) is so distant that that sort of desire that LKY talks about that needs to be found in the future government is really quite negligible.
What I mean is, in my opinion, if the world were to continue this trend of operation and not spiral off into something completely new -- past the next 30 years or so, Singapore is looking at a downhill fall. Because honestly I cannot think of even five people around my age range, much less a whole government, who would be capable in the future. At the moment, this is the trajectory I see. Which is sad, of course. There is a whole legacy alive with Singapore's existence. However, there is no ray of hope that I see aside from pulling people in from the elite professions, arming them with very theoretical skills, tips and training, then thrusting them into the hot seat. And when a time of crisis comes, I don't think we will be as assured as we are now that we will be in good hands. That's just the side effect of the 'benefits' of the government now. We don't produce a people with any substantive drive. We produce a lax one.
Ironic considering how competitive Singapore is. In school, at work, in life, it's a never-ending race. People are always stressed. For that matter, shouldn't we have individuals who understand that hard work pays off and having motivation and determination are keys to success? We do, but their motives and focuses are on the self.
In the book, LKY mentions a phenomena something like this: the elite are a very talented, very motivated people. But they do not recognize that the state has allowed them to mature into such individuals. By keeping peace and stability, allowing schools to function and operate smoothly, with opportunities to reach the top. They think they have done it of their own strength, and because of that, they do not feel the need to return to society.
This is quite an accurate observation in my opinion. Like I said, our generation is focused on the self. Self-improvement, self-achievement, so on and so forth. We forget our roots because we take things as a given. We forget community because we are so successful. As a result, you have a group of capable people uninterested that are, basically, privatised. Why take a pay cut when I can be making millions (more, haha) in the private sector? Why go under the scrutiny of a whole country when I can live my quiet, peaceful and luxurious life at Sixth Avenue? LKY mentions the mentality is basically this: "let someone else do it." Everyone thinks that way, and no one does it.
I'm not very sure if there is a way to correct this, unfortunately. Send a bunch of would-be PSC scholars to work with old folks who live in one-room flats for a week. Then to families who take aid from the Pocket Money Fund to send their children to school. I don't know. It's hard.
No comments:
Post a Comment