4.5.11

Entertaining the thought of going out to do surveys to come to a conclusion exactly what kind of electorate Singapore has.

1) Childish, immature, "act cool"
2) Naive and gullible
3) Practical and pragmatic
4) Passionate but reasonable

From the way things are going I think the results will fall into 1 and 2, honestly. I will base this upon several questions:

- legitimacy and validity of reasons for supporting non-PAP parties
- legitimacy and validity of reasons for supporting PAP parties
- vertical variance in support between age groups
- horizontal variance in support between income groups
- variance in support between education level
- level of exposure to differing opinions/different media

By calculating the amount of variance between the various demographics I think you will be able to tell how being in different social strata can strongly influence the way you think. I cannot be sure at the moment, there are surprisingly quite a few people who have challenged my preconceived notions of what certain demographics are likely to be thinking. Although, from the looks of it I will say I think that my previous notion of Singaporeans getting "caught up in the hype", voting for non-PAP parties merely because everybody else is doing so and being anti-PAP is what's hip right now, without seriously considering why, will be true.

Anybody know a good way of carrying out this experiment? It will need some work but after tomorrow I will be so free, I don't mind. I will need a lot of people to survey, that's for sure. Getting people from our age group is fairly easy, but those from older age groups is tough. Anybody wanna help me... hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment