Just finished watching live coverage of the Harry Potter premiere in Trafalgar Square, feeling depressed. On Thursday everything will be over :( I don't think I've ever read more intriguing books, more engaging or captivating books. I remember sitting in a hotel room reading the Chamber of Secrets, curling up because I was scared of the basilisk guarding the chamber.
The child-like part of me still marvels at the wonder of this other-world. It still wishes that the books were real, that I was a witch, that Hogwarts was a real place and magic was within our reach. But more than that, as I've grown up, what Harry Potter holds for me has gone beyond the amazement. It has reached a stage of admiration, at the genius of the story, the slick and smooth development, the fine attention to detail. The brilliance of Jo Rowling's storytelling and imagination is really one to be envied. As a book, a series, Harry Potter is truly a classic work. Clever, creative, perfect mix of all the ingredients a great story should have. (Which is a big reason why Harry Potter is a lot better than Twilight. For one, Stephanie Meyer is not that good a writer. The Twilight story falls quite flat -- it lacks depth and detail.)
I also admire the transition from book to film. I've never really been sure if people have supported the movies simply because there was a deep yearning to see the books materialize in some way, or if the movies were really good. But regardless, I think the films have done exactly what the fans wanted -- to see Hogwarts, to experience moving pictures, see grindylows. Truly have that all round experience the story tries to give. (Another way in which Twilight sucks -- the films have been so focused on getting a handsome cast, creating extremely hollow scenes, lacking emotion, etc) I'll admit sometimes the films have fallen a bit short, but films will never be as great as books are, and I think the HP films do give it their best shot to stay true to the books and explore their boundaries cinematically, and it's definitely enough.
So, in 7 days many people will have to say goodbye to the series for good. But, as clichéd as it is, the story will live on as long as people remember how it has affected them.
No comments:
Post a Comment