Père Lachaise Cimetière
I think one of my favourite parts about Paris this time around. Something creepy about knowing you're in the middle of tons of dead bodies, but at the same time it felt very humbling, and reasonable, surreal and beautiful all at the same time. I am and will always be absolutely terrified of death, while simultaneously being completely enamoured by the concept of it and its implications.
I especially love this last statue, that of Mary cradling Jesus's broken body. I have never seen such a statue or image depicted of Jesus before. This is the first time I'm seeing an image of Jesus as 'weaker', if you will, or in need of care. I really like it, because often we immediately see Jesus as strong, almighty saviour, Son of God who is powerful and gracious... but i think I often forget that he was also a man, somebody who felt all the torments and pains of humanity. And of course, Mary's pain. I like to think this is the grave of someone's mother.
There also lots of famous people buried here, but surprisingly I was more impressed and intrigued by the tombs of the unknown than Jim Morrison, Oscar Wilde, Chopin... most of them had been defaced by fans' graffiti and writing and so have had to be barricaded off by ugly sheets of plastic and railings... looking at the tombs of strangers was a much more fulfilling use of time here, although I did want to see Oscar Wilde's tomb, the man who wrote the brilliant "The Picture of Dorian Gray" has to be paid a visit, no?
& I loved seeing tombs that were completely decaying, broken down or just totally worn down by time and weather, but still, a fresh bouquet or a lively sprig of flowers would rest on the doors or on the tombstones, just put there a few days ago. The contrast in the colour is so, so lovely, and so touching.
I thought I would be a little scared but I really wasn't. It was most definitely a place worth visiting. There are other cemetries in Paris that are equally famous, and I hope I get to see them on my next trip in December.
Père Lachaise Cimetière
16 Rue de Repos
75020 Paris
No comments:
Post a Comment