18.12.10

i woke up when my mother banged the door open in her usual, obtrusive way. "still sleeping?" she asked and I nodded groggily even though the fact that I replied means I am obviously not sleeping. so what kind of question is that? still sleeping? it's like a taunt more than anything. but then she produces a bag from behind her back, a paper bag. it is folded nicely with a ribbon and it's holding something. "belated birthday present" she tells me, and I am touched. I give her a kiss before I even open it, because all mothers deserve that, and then I open it. it is a long, black wallet whose idiosyncrasy only spills out once pull the flap open. it is not a wallet I would have chosen. I am not completely given to its design. but I plastered on a big smile and said, "Thanks, mom. It's really nice." and in about two seconds the smile becomes as genuine as it can be, because if there's one thing I hate, it's letting someone know that you don't like their gift, especially when it's taken a lot of effort/obviously carrying a lot of thought. I hate that so much that now, looking at it, the wallet is really quite exquisite, and I'm going to transfer my stuff soon.

and so I think children have to protect our parents in these small ways
act like you love everything they choose for you
snatch the car keys when they're obviously too tired to run errands
get into the habit of slapping your hand
over your mouth
when you're about to ask for something you don't need

today I will upgrade my card to a debit card... I don't know why I have taken so long. then I will come home and order books online at cheaper prices.

you are there, literally inching
your way towards where I am
inching and inching
and its excruciating, the wait
I want the traffic jam to part like Moses made the seas part
I want a distinct and clear path be drawn
from where you are to where I am,
like on the maps with the contours, what is called 'horizontal distance'
instead of skirting the boulders and circling the mountains
you look down at this map from above, and all there is is a straight line
from point 'you' to point 'me'
clear and simple
so I can start counting down from 60 instead of 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment