29.4.11

Everybody is getting riled up by the opposition. They talk about how the PAP has been ineffective, offering quick-fix solutions right before elections but not for the past five years, using GST but redistributing only less than half of the tax revenue to the poor, etc. They slam the PAP for doing all these things... and then? Offer some flimsy rhetoric about how they won't be the same because "we care for Singaporeans", "we will put your interests first", "we will grow your wages", bla bla bla. It seems many people are being enticed by this, swayed by this sudden outburst of care.

We have to listen to what they are actually saying. Where are the constructive ideas? Where are the practical paths of actions? You cannot be satisfied by mere rhetoric. You do not vote people into parliament to spew motivational speak but possess idle hands. It seems many people are getting into the hype of voting for opposition for the sake of voting for opposition, not something that has gone unmentioned by LKY himself. To put it bluntly, it is the trend now. Which is horrible. Politics should not have trends. Politics should be based on solid ideas and proposals, based on deliverance.

Consider this: a party that must resort to slamming the PAP for its inadequacies might only be doing so to look better in comparison. But remove anything said about the PAP (because it convinces you that whatever else they say will be better) and what do you have? Do you have legitimate policy proposals? Do you have convincing courses of actions to be taken? Good speaking does not equal capability.

Maybe Singapore should go to the dogs for awhile. I've told Gus this before, sometimes I feel the PAP does not have to impose such systemic impediments on the opposition. This GE, let's say the opposition wins a few GRCs, enough to overturn 2/3 majority votes in parliament. But I believe the PAP is capable, much more so than the opposition. For the next 5 years perhaps, Singapore will become lethargic and unproductive. Let people see what happens when they do vote without thinking. That will wake them up, make them see politics and elections are nothing to trifle with, things to toy around without serious consideration. You have to know what you want to be better for your life, you have to listen to who sounds like they will genuinely make an effort to give you that.

I am not saying people should therefore vote PAP without question. No. If you genuinely listen to the rally speeches, the things people say, and are convinced that they are the ones -- then go ahead. Vote for them. But if you haven't even listened to anything and you're spouting your loyalty and support for this and that party. I see people saying things like "Gonna vote for opposition :D", referring to them as a collective which is WRONG. You do not vote for all opposition, you vote for ONE party. You vote for WP. You vote for SPP. You vote for SDP. You do not vote for opposition, because being the opposition does not make you automatically competent. 


In my personal opinion, the PAP has some severe faults that can be pointed out -- inflation rates, wages, GST on essential goods, minister's salaries. But there are many things you can also say thank you for. They have delivered in many aspects. If you are intent on voting for the opposition, please take the time to listen carefully to what they are offering. Do not vote blindly because there is that "air of change". Do not think that "everyone is going to vote for PAP, so I'll just vote for the opposition" because when everybody thinks like that, nobody is going to like the end result.

If you must vote opposition, the best party to go for is undoubtedly the WP. They have good ideas put forth, they have some parliamentary experience and they are led by sincere and capable leaders. They came close to winning Aljunied the last GE, and I think they stand a very good chance this year. If there was any opposition I wanted to win, it would be the WP. I also think they are the most likely to effectively be incorporated and considered in parliament. They know how to work within the rules, move step-by-step. They are reasonable and I think the PAP will find them easiest to co-exist with, which is important as well.

Ugh, I dunno. Feeling very frustrated. I know nothing much will change -- "the PAP is the government." That will remain for at least the next ten years. But people must not take this lightly. This is their lives and their futures that they are toying around with. Don't be stupid, basically. Take time to listen. Think carefully. Do not think your vote doesn't matter, and I am going to say something extremely cliché but I say it now because it is important: your vote counts. Don't simply jump the bandwagon. Vote wisely.

--

Otherwise, on a brighter note, an appropriately timed joke:

Q: Who are the only three prime ministers Singapore has had?
A: The Father, the Son and the Holy Goh

BAHAHAHA I laughed so hard

also, this:



OOOOMMMMGGGGG I AM SO FCKING EXCITED SRSLY OMG. on the other hand i don't want to watch it at all, i don't want to believe this is the end, i don't want to :'( I WILL BE SO SAD UGH what a magical world WHY AM I A MUGGLE, WHY. WHY. WHY.

No comments:

Post a Comment