Not much point still talking about elections now. Polling day is tomorrow, I think most people have already decided. So I decided to talk about not what is occurring at the moment, elections, but the impact that the elections will have on Singaporeans in the future.
I think the most important thing that will come out from this, whether or not we get a few more opposition members in parliament, is that Singaporeans will start to question what it is to be Singaporean. For those who have been fighting for non-PAP parties to get some seats, they have ignited a fire to want to have a say in the development of this country. For those who have been PAP supporters all the way, the protests from the opposing camp will make them think about what is really best for this country.
And in a way, I think, there will be a greater understanding and growth of the currently non-existent "Singaporean identity". The way I like to see it is that it has always been there, a dormant creature just resting, and the elections have awakened it somewhat. People like to know that they have a say in their country, it gives them a sense of entitlement and belonging and that's what democracy is ultimately supposed to do. Whether or not ideal democracy has been practiced is regardless. Whether you are voting PAP or not, you feel as if you are making a stand for what you think is good for the country. People will start to feel more attached, more inclined to fight.
Of course, if you take a look in any truly democratic country you will find that not everybody agrees on who should be ruling, what policies should be implemented, what guidelines they should go by. Republicans will remain at odds with the Liberals. The left and the right will never meet fully. But if there's one thing I suppose you can gather from democratic countries is a patriotism quite undeniable. Another place you will find extreme patriotism is in authoritarian countries where conditions are poor. Revolutions spring up because people have had enough of being forced to do things they do not want to do and getting nothing out of it. They revolt because they want to fight for their right to their land, to their home, to their country.
Singapore, unfortunately, hangs somewhere in the balance -- a benign dictatorship. Neither a full democracy nor a brutal totalitarian state, the patriotism and the sense of belonging goes missing somewhere. People think, "I don't have a say because the PAP will just ignore me anyway. But I don't need to have a say either, my life is quite alright." And so the attachment disappears. Nobody feels loyal nor indebted to Singapore, at least not to the degree that is favorable for everyone. The combining effect of a top-down approach and the basic luxuries of a prosperous economy has numbed the general population, especially the younger generation, into a sense of autonomy from the land. Like Singapore is a hotel.
So thankfully, I think the elections will awake a sleeping giant. People are starting to feel that things are at stake -- whether it be the horror of living under PAP rule for the next 5 years or the threat of allowing inexperienced opposition members into parliament. And I think this threat will create a "rally around the flag" effect. People will come together, camping on both sides, but overall come together as concerned Singaporeans to discuss the future. As a Singaporean I've always hoped one day to see Singapore turn into a country vibrant and alive with people who love and stand by their country, not always desperate to get out. I suppose the PAP will one day have to concede to this -- even MM Lee has prophesied that such a day will come when the electorate will not remain as docile as before.
The election process itself cannot be called truly democratic. That is clear for most rational people to see. But the bigger picture here is that the fight for democracy (be it challenging it or defending it) is going to develop a population of Singaporeans who are starting to feel, starting to cherish who they are as Singaporeans, Singapore's future and what she really means to them.
In spite of whatever results emerge tomorrow night, I think that will be a big step for us. A crucial one. And for that, I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment