Happy that WP won Aljunied. Good to have opposition party in parliament just to maintain some sort of (increasingly) fair balance of power. I think people shouldn't harbour any high hopes that amazing things are going to happen. No. The PAP is still in power, still holding onto the majority vote, and just because there are now six voices to cause greater debate does not necessarily affect what the ultimate outcome of any passing bill or amendment will be. However, people can be happy that the PAP is (hopefully) going to bring itself down a little bit, look and analyze the cracks it has caused, attempt to rectify that or risk having a couple more GRCs go the way of Aljunied.
But I am sad. Because tonight we have lost Chiam See Tong, Singapore's longest serving MP. A powerful symbol of the fight for true democracy, I think we must salute and respect all his efforts in fighting for the Singapore that he loves. I read this tweet -- "If only Singapore loved you half as much as you loved her" -- and I think it is quite true. People don't really understand the magnitude of his legacy, not appreciated as much as it should be. On the other hand, he really needs a break. He is getting old, getting weak. Even if he spends the rest of his time in quiet retirement he will still be the most passionate opposition warrior, fighting even into old age, into sickness and, I think if he can help it, into death. True respect for Mr Chiam. It is a shame that Singapore has lost you as an MP.
We also lost George Yeo, one of Singapore's better ministers. As foreign affairs minister I think he has, in his time, run quite a smooth-sailing period of international relations. He is a good minister, and a good man, I think. There were other high profile ministers more deserving of getting the boot. George Yeo I think was definitely not one of them, and I will miss him a lot. Many people are asking him to campaign for president!!! & if he is eligible I think he should run. He reminds me a lot of Ong Teng Chiong who wasn't a total puppet like Nathan is. George Yeo for prez guys!!!
I am not at all sad that we didn't gain Nicole Seah. In my opinion she's an overly aggressive, impulsive, untrained and inexperienced politician. She needs to learn to rope it in a little bit, met it out in a more digestible way. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion anyway. Nicole Seah lovers, let's agree to disagree eh? Of course I am not happy that TPL is in parliament. But I would rather have had GCT and 3 other fairly credible MPs in parliament than Nicole Seah and 4 questionable ones. It stands to reason right? Honestly how can you let 4 random people riding on the coattails of Nicole Seah into parliament? TPL is also a free-rider but 1 > 4 of them.
Omg. Eyes so painful... time to sleep. It was a great night all in all, Singaporeans. Every single person who voted, you should be proud of having had a say in the future. Let's hope this continues on.
No comments:
Post a Comment