Libya is like Egypt x 1000. Mubarak looks like an angel beside Gaddafi. It's seriously some Hitler/Deng Xiao Ping shit going on right now. Up to 200 dead today, a 1 year old killed by a stray bullet, that's madness. Hiring foreign mercenaries??? God it's like going back to the 14th century or something. Primitive and barbaric. Internet down (standard), international phone calls down (but people have worked around it), denying access to foreign journalists. Listened to a very touching call that managed to connect with BBC. It was a doctor in Benghazi who was holed up somewhere trying to treat the stream of casualties resulting from the army attacks on the protestors. He was giving information, saying many of them had been shot in the chest, abdomen and several in the head. The reporter asked him if he was afraid for his safety, and he said "Yes I am definitely, but I am here to help because if not the people are not able to get to the hospitals." Unsung heroes of a revolution. The masses move as one unit but the individuals it is made up of are so brave, so courageous I can't even begin to imagine.
But another thing I was thinking a lot about today is: who can you trust? Is there really no such thing as objective reporting? Can we really trust reports coming out from CNN, BBC, etc? Foreign journalists aren't allowed in, right? Do they really have reliable sources? Not just about Libya, but about anything. I wish someone would tell me one good, independent and scrupulous news source that I can trust. I don't know what to trust! The press is always swayed by governmental pressures, power of ownership, interest in sensationalizing everything... many adults I speak to tell me that the news is bullshit, especially news on TV because the arrangements of their footage have subliminal messages, so I don't watch that for the most part. What about print? NY Times? IHT? The Economist? Didn't LKY sue their asses for slander? Honestly I'm not very sure. Is an independent news source even possible? My dad told me yesterday he read somewhere that Steve Jobs has 6 weeks to live. WTF?! Is that for real?! CAN I REALLY BELIEVE THAT
I'm going to think about all the factors and conditions that will be optimum for creating this elusive news source. If I don't find this treasure I will make it myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment