Tonight I am sitting in my parents room, with links open at live streams of tonight's lunar eclipse! Waiting for the "blood moon", where the moon will turn red. I read about why this happens, and basically when the moon is eclipsed by the earth, the sun's rays pass through a thick layer of earth's atmosphere, and get scattered. So the longer rays with colours like blue, will be refracted away from the moon while your shorter rays with colours like red, will be shone onto the moon's surface, turning it red. It's the same logic as to why sunsets and sunrises are red/orange/pink sometimes! That was my understanding of it I think I probably got it all wrong but it makes enough sense to me. My science is one of my life's biggest failures. Anyway the clouds have been a little bitchy the past hour; they've been selfishly hiding the moon, making me run frantic to all the balconies in the house, in case it went somewhere else. Clearly I don't understand movement of the planets and blah blah blah if I think the moon is playing catching with me. Going to wake my dad up when the moon turns red! I'll try to get a picture but we don't ahve any good cameras at our disposal now. In any case I think the blood moon will only appear in like one hour plus? Sian
I always wonder about nature, which makes me wonder about God. Makes me think about how gigantically huge our universe is, and how many universes are out there unknown to our species. It makes me think how God is so, so, so, so, so big to be able to be managing all these various universes, various planets, galaxies, etc. And still be so personal to everyone. Quite amazing if you believe in God! Also, have you ever thought about life in other worlds out there? Like to me I don't rule it out as ludicrous. In fact I think that there's definitely some life out there somewhere, but we may never discover it. And imagine what kind of world that is! Like the people might have completely different features. Their world might be made up of completely different elements, rocks, metals, etc. Maybe they have no animals! I don't know. Some people claim that the earth is the "perfect distance from the sun and moon" i.e. any hotter/any colder we'd all die. But I mean there must be millions of galaxies out there, and millions of suns and moons that we might never discover -- the chance of life developing on another planet that also happens to be the perfect distance from another sun and another moon seems pretty high. So there's a whole alternative world happening in real time! Of course this is speculation. But I think the most fun thing about it is that we'll never ever know until we meet God. And I hope He'll tell me and we'll get to see what we don't know. Isn't that just so damn awesome? When we die we'll go to heaven and everything that has been massive question marks in your life will all of a sudden be solved and make sense. Clarity in an instant! Amazing. That's really one of the perks of going to heaven for me, you know, aside from eternal life, being with Jesus, etc. Haha.
And I'm not sure that the Big Bang is accurate. I kind of believe it because it's backed up by evidence, and it doesn't seem unreasonable. I also don't see how it's supposed to be at odds with how God created the universe(s) because God could have created that initial phase prior to the expansion, and could have planned that the universe expanded in this and this way, I mean, because He's God = He can do freakin' anything. IN ANY CASE, what I meant to point out is that all this thinking about infinite space, where the hell it came from, (and if it came from God then where did God come from) like when I think about it, I think of what is the purpose of us here, on this earth, in this galaxy, in this universe. Why did God choose to create us? And it makes everything seem so super super insignificant when you think about the bigger picture.
I wish I could inflate myself to be proportionate to the size of the universe out there because I feel so small. Everybody should feel so damn small, and doesn't it really just put things in perspective? How meaningless everything is on earth, in our countries, in our houses. How completely insignificant? And on the other hand God is bigger than the entire mass of universes out there, bigger than where the ends of the universe end, larger than the black hole all the stars in the entire universe collapsing together would create. (I like black hole theories) Thinking about it is an infinitely regressive question -- there is no beginning and there is no end. I feel uncomfortable thinking about it yet I can't help it.
I think the total eclipse is going to happen soon. Hope it's awesome!!! xx
No comments:
Post a Comment