11.1.11

back to school: reached school at 1pm to buy my french textbook, then went to the library to print notes for foreign policy lecture. met Whang for lunch at 2 with Zhiwei and sat there laughing and talking. I didn't even eat. at 4 I went for lecture and it was as boring as is expected of an introductory lecture. they always cover the usual points:

- what is -insert module-?
- learn to analyze information
- learn to develop valid & sound arguments
- critical thinking

WTF must they repeat this for every module, every semester? omg it's pointless, honestly. I feel like skipping every lecture this week except for french because they will probably all be as batshit boring as today's was.

anyway was reading up about the Tucson tragedy, and the congresswoman who was shot (in the head, through and through), Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, might as well be dead. she'll probably survive but not with a sound mind to wake up to in any case. doctors say they are as optimistic as the case can get. with brain trauma that bad I don't think there's much to be optimistic about. anyway, this article talks about how violence has become so prevalent not only in our culture, but infiltrated public and political discourse. it's pretty true I think, the way that anyone speaks is really peppered with analogies and references to violence. I think about the things I say jokingly as threats to people subconsciously everyday and it's true! you think about it. the one thing people like to repeat again and again to each other: 'I'LL KILL YOU SRSLY' correct? and we get so shocked when someone pulls out a gun and starts shooting. in fact, it's old stuff, but never gets less scary. I think it's reached a point where the next mass shooting, it'll be more of a 'I knew it was coming but I was dreading it' thing rather than a 'omg where did that come from?!' the ways things are going that's the road we're headed down

also if you believed the rumor that Facebook is ending in March... relax. nobody would shut down a $25 billion business just to be more 'stress-free'. also, one article was titled 'Humanity Disappoints Again, Believes 'Facebook is Ending' Rumor' HAHAHA I LOL-ed

No comments:

Post a Comment