Sooooooo I may have watched almost the entire season two of Undercover Boss in two days. It's such a great show!!! I don't even know how many times I ended up tearing at the end of the episode. But honestly, it's a really great reality TV show for a change. It's refreshing, it's something new, and it gives back. Kind of. It's really, really awesome and I think everybody should go watch it! My favourite episodes are MGM Grand, UC Riverside & Hooters. GO WATCH. I'm watching the City of Cincinnati one now. I think it's really awesome, the whole concept of sending the big people to mingle with the little ones, and really get in touch with the ground and get a feel of the trouble that always brews bottom up, see what's affecting their businesses. And I love that they did one for a city, because if anything Singapore is run quite analogous to a company. Unfortunately I think this can't really pan out for Singapore just because everybody who is in charge of running this place would be recognized in a heartbeat. But I think you could set them on specific jobs that would really give them a sense of Singaporean problems (off the top of my head I'm thinking taxi drivers, hawker center owners, primary school teachers, cleaners). Then again, ministers will always expect that people are unhappy. Sometimes I watch the show and I feel that the CEOs are genuinely surprised that there's discontent on the ground, as if they have assumed for the longest time that everybody is happy working for them. But even though a country can be run like a company, it isn't one. It isn't merely about making profit, it's about doing that and finding a way to redistribute it, to minimize income gaps, to balance wages, to cultivate culture and environment, to groom children with education. There is a huge social aspect to it that a company doesn't really focus on as much, and so ministers always know to expect discontent. I think because of that they become a little desensitized to the real severity of everyday problems, they think it's something people just gotta deal with but that's not true.
Okay I'm done feeling excited about the show. It's really great!!!!! Good reality TV is hard to find, and this is one of them. Happy :)
No comments:
Post a Comment