While packing I found my old gameboy, my trusty Fire Red Pokemon cartridge still in it, and so I've been playing for hours and hours and the most depressing thing just happened. I was unprepared to face Articuno and he's gone, and I don't have him, and I didn't save it at any point near to meeting Articuno and I'm unwilling to retrace all those steps!!! Ugh seriously depressed I feel so frustrated. I can't do anything now except do my best to catch Zapdos and Moltres and I WON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES. Yes I know I am 20 this year shut up I have defeated the elite four once and I will do it again
Otherwise it's about 4 more days to the move, and I just can't wait for everything to be over! There's too much random crap sitting around all over the house waiting to be shifted, and I'm so sick of blowing my nose so much because of all the dust that has arisen from unearthing lots of shit from long, long time ago. Packing was such a hassle, I promise to do regular cleans from now on so as to never have to go through this again.
Last night I didn't sleep... stayed up until 5am, went downstairs, Gus came over at 5.10am and off we went to the airport to send my sister off to Cambodia for 10 days. She's going for the usual OCIP trip. I've been thinking about it, also thinking about what some people have said about it -- OCIP is useless for the children in third world countries. You build a library, you teach them English, bla bla... for two weeks? That is to be honest not going to benefit them in the least. The point of OCIP is more to benefit you than to benefit them. It's to expose spoilt little Singaporean teenagers to the devastating plight of their neighbors, to instill in them compassion for the less fortunate. It is definitely not to enhance their lives for good. That is a huge, huge irony I think and I can't decide if that's good or bad. I suppose it's good, at least someone benefits. But I keep thinking perhaps we should start doing things for the kids in more tangible ways, rather than a two week crash course in English by 14 year olds. You can bring food over, clothes over, toys, etc. You can bring some legit books that will help them. I don't understand why there always has to be a skit...? Or something??? Why can't it just be some Singaporean teenagers sitting around, talking to the kids and hanging out? And you'll still be impacted even if you didn't do all this pretentious shit, teach English or paint their library walls. (my eyes are literally rolling right now) Isn't it odd?! It's a "mission" trip, a trip to do charity work, but in essence it is one that is extremely selfish and self-serving. Doesn't mean it's bad, you're being selfish in a good way, to educate and inform yourself. But it makes it worse because we already are informed. We see images on TV, on the Internet, look at pictures and videos of starving children, etc etc. And we assume that what they *really* need are colourful walls. COME ON. Seriously? In any case I also don't think that two weeks is sufficient to ingrain in young people the need to be more considerate, more compassionate, more thoughtful of others who have less. Not at all. The first few days they came back they feel drenched in epiphanies of life and others, give it a week or so and they'll be back at the malls, hooked onto f21.com or some shit. And it's just the sad reality that we all have to accept.
If you want to do charity work you must commit to be there for 6 months, a year, two years. One day I want to do that, live somewhere else for a few months each time and help with food distribution, or teach people music for fun, help out in hospitals or help build homes. And there are organizations that do that, so I give props to them. Major, major props (Y)
No comments:
Post a Comment