Back in Brisbane. Road trip was super fun but super intense. Way too much driving, navigating fcking dark roads and abandoned petrol stations. Getting freaked out by constant exclamations of "Eh this seriously looks like the one from House of Wax/Texas Chainsaw Massacre leh!!!" Peeing in dodgy toilets and concentrating super hard on the road with no streetlights, constant sprays of mist from oncoming 18 wheelers just one lane beside you. Those were the bad parts of it. It was definitely an experience but honestly I'm not keen to repeat it! The days are so short -- the sun sets around 530pm. There were countless times where I imagined that I was going to die from murder or a car accident. But thank God that He kept us safe the whole way and we made it back here in one piece!
The good parts: sitting roller coasters at Dreamworld until I almost hurled, snorting so much water up our noses at White Water World all our faces were red, attempting to surf at Stradbroke Island in almost freezing water, eating homemade gelato, watching whales and dolphins frolick in the ocean, walking a beautiful trail overlooking massive rock crevices and huge rivers, watching horror shows at night, sleeping for 3 hours in the car by the roadside in Sydney, eating a delightful seafood breakfast ($9 for 25 slices of sashimi, alaskan crab legs, gigantic lobsters), checking into three awesome, awesome hotels, floating too long in heated pools, eating lots of Japanese food, singing songs in the car really loud.
One constant the entire trip has been this, though: the casino. Omg. You never think you would be lured by the idea of fast money, that it's for those who cannot control themselves, etc. But the moment you win your very first hand at Blackjack... it's over. Don't worry, I'm not addicted, but it is really, really, really fun. Although you have to be prepared to lose money! And you have to knwo when to walk away. But I'm in love with playing Blackjack. It's not even just about the money, it's also about the thrill, the anticipation. Gus & I have controlled ourselves though, gambling a prudent amount each time and giving up for good when the going just isn't great. But even then, I quite enjoy the glitz and glamour of a casino, of the clean and shiny tables, the caribbean stud wheel, the high ceilings, the poker room, the dealers in uniforms (I LOVE FRIENDLY DEALERS), the slightly drunk gamblers who try to give you advice. If you've ever watched any show featuring Vegas you'll understand that it's really quite enticing! Thankfully I think overall we've had a net gain. It's really important to exercise self control!
Interesting parts: dealing with the police and security at Treasury Casino, busting up the left headlights of a rental car against the back of a Nissan monster, dropping an expensive watch into the depths of some unknown but pretty lake. AND THEN, the boys stripping and tip-toeing into the freezing water to try and retrieve it.
My favourite part: falling asleep with Gus by my side, waking up to his hugs and kisses. Being here with him, basically. Even if he sometimes spends too much time playing FIFA and NBA on the PS3... things he does at home. Seriously
Can't say how much I miss Meelo :( Haha. Oh well. Am leaving in a few days, heading back to sunny Singapore. Reading twitter it looks like everybody is dying from the heat, so I envision just soaking in the pool everyday to acclimate back to the weather!




No comments:
Post a Comment